Eight Powerful Steps To Non-Attachment
During our lives, we tend to form many attachments to various types of elements. Many of us are so attached to the physical world that we become enslaved and possessed by the very things we adore.
Detachment is when someone has complete freedom from all that is seen or heard and doesn’t let any possessions take control of them. Practicing non-attachment gives us power over our emotions and feelings in relation to the attachments in our life.
Many people wonder why does detachment matter. Why does it matter whether or not we’re attached to something? The answer is simple: if we’re not careful our attachment can lead to tragedy and heartbreak when transformation takes its unstoppable course. Attachment is the root cause of our suffering. Non-attachment is an important form of self-mastery.
The first and most important concept when trying to incorporate non-attachment into our life is consciously acknowledging that everything that’s manifested in our physical world is temporary, not forever.
When you notice your attachment to anyone or to anything, ask yourself the following questions: “Why do I really desire this? What permanent advantage would I gain by possessing this? How would this possession help me towards greater knowledge and freedom?” Over and over again, the answers to these questions show us that the desired thing is useless in the long term and also may be potentially harmful by driving us into ignorance and bondage. Sometimes we may become aware that the things we desire, is something simply to fulfill a mere restlessness in the mind.
The mental state of non-attachment may come slowly, but even during the earliest stages of practice are rewarded by a sense of peace and freedom. Guaranteed success will come from being consistent with this spiritual discipline.
Practice Non-Attachment in Eight Steps:
1. Ask yourself what realistic permanent advantage you should gain if you possessed your desire.
2. Let go of your attachment to money by making a donation or helping out someone in need.
3. Befriend yourself – your self-worth should come from within you, not from other people’s approvals.
4. Don’t seek security in people or things.
5. Overcome your attachment to entertainment.
6. Let go of the need to dominate or be influential over others.
7. Stop living in an illusion – don’t overly attach yourself to your possessions or even your hopes and dreams.
8. Understand that everything naturally comes and goes. It’s unavoidable.
Non-attachment is easily misunderstood by many people as they might interrupt it as having to give up their possessions to feel “free”. This is far from the truth.
Detachment is simply not feeling owned by the things you possess or desire.
There will be moments when impatience of frustration arises. But that’s alright as long as you allow the emotions to rise and dissolve. Do not feed or fuel the negative emotions.
The Benefits of Non-Attachment:
– Expectations no longer rule your life.
– You see things for the way they are.
– You’re not bothered much by the physical world (but you don’t tolerate harmful behavior).
– Your heart grows even bigger and you love more because you don’t feel the need to control everything.
– You’re not attached to outcomes.
Detachment is freeing yourself from resistance to transformation, allowing the Law of Occult Resonance to work effectively for you.
Be attached to nothing but be open to everything that is good.
July 21, 2019
Also available in: Français